Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Things we take for Granted


This week has been busy as always with our bunch! Carlton arrived late Wednesday night. We picked him up at the airport and I know he got the best greeting of anybody! Three little boys ran and jumped into his arms and not too far behind was me and Callie Rose! Trevor began his fourth and final round of chemo on Thursday. Friday he vomited several times before chemo. They decided because of this to send us home with 24hrs. of fluids instead of six like normal. Once he had his zofrin and benadryl he got chemo on Friday. He did not get sick anymore. Two wonderful Habitat for Hope couples watched over our kids Friday night so Carlton and I could go on a date! We went to a nice dinner and walked around Target and Walmart!(Gee we must be getting old!) Honestly though we could have just sat in the grass alone and I would have been happy. We had a great time enjoying each others company, talking of the times gone by. Saturday Trev had his final round of chemo. What an exciting day! At some point in the near future they will present him with a balloon, and shirt that say "No Mo Chemo!" and throw confetti on him. I am taking my camera everyday hoping to capture the celebration! Today he had labs and a check up in the medicine room. Tommorrow he gets his G shot and we will meet with Dr. Merchant in radiation. Hopefully we will get some idea of when we can start radiation. This weekend a lot of stuff has hit me. I am really missing home. This was the first time since we have been here that it was just Carlton and I with the kids. We were a familly of six just hanging out and loving on each other. We were able to stay up late and watch movies, snuggle on the couch and have some quality time together. Over the last six months I realize just how many things I took for granted. This weekend we were able to just "chill" even though there was chemo. I realized that in the past I have taken for granted, healthy children, seeing my children take their first steps, listening to my husband's heartbeat, hearing him breathe, quiet, being together as a family and the list goes on. These have been everyday occurences in the past however now I take them and treasure them. I am thankful for the small moments we have together. I treasure every kiss and hug I receive from my husband and children. None of us know when it will be our last breath. Tragedies come into our lives and though they are hard we learn and grow from them. This weekend was precious time with Carlton and I can't wait till he comes back to see us again whenever it may be! I savored every hug, kiss, and heartbeat. Just awhile ago my four children and I said our goodbyes to Carlton standing in the Memphis airport. This goodbye was the hardest yet. As tears poured down McKenzie and Kenneth's face as they held on to their Daddy for dear life! They didn't want to see him go. Trev hugged him and said goodbye. Callie took to him and melted him by just laying her head down on her Daddy's shoulder. The tears of course were overflowing by this time on my face. I didn't want to say goodbye and neither did he. We couldn't get enough hugs and kisses. Today stunk because of a goodbye. It was incredibly hard to get in the van and drive away. Afterall our family was missing Daddy. I am so thankful for the time we had but I miss him already. Kenneth said "all we need is Daddy." I struggled to see through the tears to drive home. My heart aches today. I know this is a "season" in our lives and one day it will end. However for now I am begging God for extra strength. I have to be strong for my children. It was such a blessing to make sweet precious memories with Carlton and look forward to his return. He is such a blessing and a gift from God. Please pray for him and his strength as he continues to work and provide for our family at home. Thank you for your continued prayers. I challenge each of you to value those around you and cherish them a little more today than yesterday!


Love,

Christy
 
 

1 comment: