Saturday, March 31, 2012

Power of Prayer

"The prayer of righteous man is powerful and effective." James 5:16


So often people tell you "I will pray for you" or "all I can do is pray."  Many times I think we forget the value in prayer.  I know God hears our prayers and answers them.  He may not always answer them the way we preferred, however they are all answered.  I can look within my own "box" if you will and see the power of prayer.  I have seen Him heal my son from cancer.  I have seen him protect, provide, and fufill things that I never thought possible.  I have seen what happens when people have prayed for my family and the blessings that have come from it.  What a joy and treasure to know that people are truly praying on your behalf. 
     The last few weeks I have had the opportunity to review my own prayer life.  Over the past several years I have witnessed outside of my "box" the power of my prayers for others.  Several years ago our friend Doug was off at war.  We received a phone call that he was hurt and being flown back to the states.  We immediately began praying for Doug, his wife Sherry, and their family.  We weren't sure of the severity of what had happened we just prayed.  Doug need support and healing.  I will never forget the day that Doug and Sherry flew home to Savannah.  It was priceless.  To physically be able to hug them both after praying so hard for them was such a gift from God.  This was the first time I remember in my life praying so hard for something and watching it come to fruition.
      I have been blessed to pray for Brandi and Trent who wanted to adopt their son from China.  Brandi and I met and prayed dillegently for our children and the baby she wanted to adopt.  It was awesome to be a part in it all, to watch as it all unfolded!  Papers were processed, home inspections, fingerprints and the list goes on!  Now he is home with his forever family!  Everytime I see him, I fight back tears as we prayed so long and hard for him!  What a precious gift he is to his family!  We continue to pray as now they are in the process of adopting another son!  
     Another friend Kelly and her husband Kevin recently adopted Matthew their son from Latvia.  Again we prayed that doors would be opened and opportunities would happen.  The Lord knew our hearts, he heard our cries and He answered!  What a treasure it was to watch him celebrate his 13th birthday at his first ever birthday party!  Sheer joy and excitement covered every attendee's face watching him and his happiness! 
All of this being said never underestimate the power of your prayers!  Know that in ALL things God works together for the good of those who are called according to HIS purpose!   Romans 8:28  It easy to become so overwhelmed with everyone's prayer requests that we feel we cannot adequately pray for them all!  However I believe God lays certain people on your heart for a reason and that you are to stop and pray for them.  My friend Kelly for instance loves ladybugs everytime I see a ladybug I thank God for Kelly and say a prayer for her.  My friend Katie her daugher's middle name is Hope so when I see Hope I pray for Katie.  I pray for Cheryl everytime I hear the song "Redeemer" because I can still remember her singing that solo!  Prayers go up for Krista when I see "Be still and know. . ."  These are not the only times I pray for these individuals however I think these are just special reminders God has given me to lift them up at those moments.  It may be awhile before I talk with them again however I pray and feel a connection.  I know that God has the situation whatever it may be.  I am just being obedient on my part and praying for them!

Additional Bible Verses on Prayer
1 John 5:14-15
Philippians 4:6-7
Ephesians 6:18
Romans 8:26
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
James 4:3

2 comments:

  1. CP what a blessing you are to me and such a talented writer! My life for the past 20+ years is greater because you are in it! Love you tons, Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy, Thank you for the real life memories and moments of the power of prayer! Your blog is wonderful! I hope to meet you at She Speaks girl!
    -Blessings, Amy

    ReplyDelete