Monday, April 23, 2012

Empathy-Gift or Curse?

Webster's Dictionary defines empathy-the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner.  I am a case of someone who can empathize with others.  I remember as a young girl realizing I was different.  I was off at camp and a girl whom I had never met was bunking in our cabin.  I remember her sharing with us that her parents were getting a divorce.  I sat on the floor of and cried with her.  Someone I didn't even know.  I took on her burden and sadness.  I can look back over my life and see how I have empathized with so many.  Is it easy? NO not at all.  Sometimes I have wondered is it a gift from God or a curse when I take on the agony, saddness, grief and distress of others.  My heart breaks right along with them.  I know several right now who are fighting for their marriages and some who are taking on a new direction and learning to surrvive without their former spouse.  Just last week I mourned and cried and became physically ill while pouring out prayers daily for these precious families.  I ached and became physically exhausted and drained.  God restored me and gave me strength.  I don't have the answers or any control over the outcomes.  However I know that God puts me right where I need to be when I need to be there.  Whether it is comforting a fellow bunk mate as a fifth grader at camp, or crying together with friends as an adult.  As I empathize with so many I am drawn to think of how Christ took on the entire world's burdens and sins.  I am thankful He only sends me a handful of burdens at a time!  I am grateful He never gives me more than I can handle.  He tells us in His word "Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." Galatians 6:2  So what is the "law of Christ?  In John 13:34 it states: "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."   It is my job, I have been commanded to love others.  Not just when they are happy but when they are sad, angry, and distressed as well.  Imagine if you will the task of cutting down a very large tree.  Once you get the tree cut you must haul the debree away.  This is a task you are not meant to do alone.  It would go much smoother when you allow someone to help "carry the load."  I say all of this to say that I feel empathy is a gift.  It is challenging and it keeps me grounded.  I have a new appreciation for my life and the blessings that surround me.  Know this though, we all have been commanded to do so.  Imagine if everyone took on at least one burden of another and helped "carry the load" how different the world would be.  If we took the time to listen to those around us who are hurting and about to break.  I know that as I have and continue to empathize with others in the hard times God has blessed me with rejoicing with them in the good times too.  I believe we can empathize happiness and joy as well as saddness and grief.  We must be careful though and not let our human nature interfere.  We must stay grounded in God and His word to do as He has commanded. Matthew 11:28 says, " "Come to me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest."  He is the only way and has promised to give us rest. So go forth and empathize dear one!  Share the burden of another and comfort them on their journey and lead them to His answers!

Additional Scriptures
Ecclesiastes 3:10
Ecclesiastes 1:14-18

1 comment:

  1. I like how you pair empathy with prayer. Your gift, of truly bearing another's burden, is also a call to lift them up in prayer. And you're right, Christ bore the ultimate burden ~ the sins of the entire world.

    I'm attending She Speaks. It's my first time. I hope to meet you there. :)

    ReplyDelete